Exhibiting mountains...
1. I will not be using my debit card
every second to fulfil my need for perfection. Over a cup of tea I was inputting my expenses from my first exhibition into a calculator and after seeing I had spent well over a couple of hundred pounds for a week long exhibitions I decided, not only did I need to switch to unbranded tea and stop buying posh biscuits, I needed to find a way to do it cheaper. As you will see below there are few reason I spent more than I needed...we all have to learn right?
2. Framing – its big
business. The moment
I realised my error was when I was
discussing framing costs
with a
seasoned
artist. She grabbed my hand
and said 'come
with me' and she took me
to her artwork which was in a prime location and asked me what I thought of the framing –
it was good! It suited her art and looked professional. 'Do you
know where I got those frames? Ikea & a seconded hand shop, trust
me dear you don’t need to spend a lot'! She also sold
her pieces. Point taken!
Apart from the cost of framing there is the frame itself. My first framing experience cost me a lot (a lot!) of money and it was the wrong choice (too dark and didn't suit the gallery). I should have done some research. A frame seems to be like those touches you put on a house before you
have potential buyers around. It's the smell of freshly
baked bread or ground coffee! I thought this was silly, but its
true, and it might just make a person stop, look and buy.
3. Business cards. I have a
tendency to get ahead of myself and I did with business cards. I
wanted to be different and decided to make my business cards look
like postcards. I left it too late and did a rush job (staying up
late and getting frustrated) and they came back looking anything but
what I wanted. Plus I paid for a quick turn around. Trust me if you
don’t have time don’t get ahead of yourself! Keep it simple.
4. Believe in your art! I'm not
used to blowing my own trumpet and a lot of the time I wanted to hide
during the exhibition. Looking at my pieces on the large wall I
couldn’t believe they were good enough to be there. But thats not
true! I had to get over this, and I feel a hundred times more
confident for my next exhibition.
5. Use social media! I forgot
one important thing, I posted updates on twitter and facebook but did
not put the exhibition on my website! Opps. Its hard to remember to
cover all bases, especially when you have a busy full time job. This time I have covered my website in adverts for
my next exhibition. Twitter and facebook have been amazing too as you can get conversations going before the exhibition and its free marketing! yay! Plus I've meet some lovely like-minded people this way too.
7. Finally submit submit submit. I have
submitted to 2 exhibitions and been picked for both! If you asked me
a year ago if I thought that was possible I would have laughed at
you! But there it is. Take a chance.
My first exhibition made me realise 2
things.
Firstly my friends and family are amazing. Their support and
continuing encouragement is beyond belief. Secondly it gave me focus
and made me find an area of my art I believed in. I'm 100% behind my
mountain series and for the first time, when it comes to my art, I'm
proud of myself. I always wanted others to be proud of me, but maybe
all I really wanted was the opposite. Do it for yourself as most
likely everyone else won't need convincing.


Thanks for this! It's been a while since I've done any gallery touring and I definitely don't want to go around blowing too much money on anything. I barely have time to make it anymore! I especially like your marketing tips, most artists don't recognize that they have to market themselves.
ReplyDeleteIn the states, there's a website that I like to use for framing - http://www.frameusa.com
These guys are wholesalers and when they go on sale you can usually find something for cheap. Maybe there's an equivalent where you are?
Hi Kev,
ReplyDeleteThanks for the comments - glad I could help. I'm still learning so its great to hear people in similar situations. Social media really has been the break of me and has made the difference to exhibiting or not. Twitter has actually really helped connect me to people and exhibitions.
Thanks for the info about framing, not sure I know of a UK equivalent but I'll get hunting.
Good luck with your work :) My next big struggle is pricing...that is my hardest struggle.