Saturday, 23 November 2013

We can’t divorce the earth, so let the marriage counselling begin…

Art & Science
As I was drinking my tea and flicking through the endless menus on Netflix’s (a common affair for me) I came across the documentary ‘Chasing Ice’. I had noticed it before but I’m sorry to say due to ‘Breaking Bad’ taking over all my Netflix time I’ve only just got around to watching this. I love frozen landscapes, especially after me and a friend were lucky enough to head up to the Arctic Circle in 2009. Everything about these places is pure magic. I know that sounds cheesy, but the stillness, the limited colours, the emptiness of sound and sense of size is pretty indescribable.
Chasing Ice, in the words of its synopsis is…
…”the story of one man’s mission to change the tide of history by gathering undeniable evidence of our changing planet. Within months of that first trip to Iceland, the photographer conceived the boldest expedition of his life: The Extreme Ice Survey. With a band of young adventurers in tow, Balog began deploying revolutionary time-lapse cameras across the brutal Arctic to capture a multi-year record of the world’s changing glaciers’.
The subject of climate change is a debate that has been bubbling away for years, is it real?, is it not real? Whatever you believe I do think that we will be heading to a point where the balance between us and natural resources & other living organisms will tip, to our peril. I can't help but giggle at the way my brain decided to visualise this conflict, in the style of a bad 1950’s American sitcoms; maybe it's my degree in Film that did this.
'Scene opens (after iconic opening credits and theme tune) to the earth in the kitchen dressed in her ozone apron. In walks the human race (to audience applauds of course) dress in a bow-tie and proclaiming 'where’s my dinner?, where’s my slipper’s?, there’s a hole in my sock' (audience cheers). The episode follows our poor little earth as she gets into lots of ‘slapstick humor’ scenarios running around, cleaning, fixing, cooking & supporting our anti-hero and is left tired & pin-pricked. Slowly the apron gets messier and the immaculate hair starts to fall (me everyday), but the smile is always on her face’
If you have seen the film ‘Pleasantville’ you will know where I’m heading. One day the human race will walk though the door to the same pre-recorded applause to find no response to his usual ‘honey I’m home’. Though she would not have gone to explore the amazing life of technicolor as she had in the film. Luckily our present day sitcoms have moved away from this stereotypical image but are relationship with our home has not and is stuck in a dated B&W sitcom. We can’t divorce our planet, nor can it divorce us (even if it wanted to) so counseling might be our only option. It’s projects like ’Chasing Ice’ that can act as these marriage counselors.

We cull species, we destroy trees for land & we burn our fuel for energy. I’m not naive enough to not realise that the reason I’m living in a world that is so easy to survive (well western world – the difference in ease of living across the world is another topic in itself) is because of the sacrifices the world (and it's poorer nations) has taken, and the hard choices made by my ancestors. But I often find myself imagining that one day a badger might turn up at my home with a rifle to cull me, or I might find a tree sitting in a bulldozer about to destroy my home so their roots can spread. (I’m not crazy, just imaginative). It’s about balance, equal sacrifices on both sides, but we seem to be making less and less. If this was a marriage we would have been divorced a long time ago (with the earth getting a huge payout).
I began writing this, not just to explore our relationship with our home, but to share how this documentary used art to reach us and just how cool I thought that was. If you haven’t already noticed me and Mike come from opposite sides of the camp –I’m an artist and Mike’s a scientist. Not only does this make for interesting discussions (and lots of fun hours explaining, educating & growing on both sides, while eating Doritos!) it has made me realise how much these two subjects have in common and complement each other. It seems to me that they are both ways of interpreting the world. Maybe science is more to do with understanding the world, while art is more about how we see the world.
Monet - House of Parliament Sun
Chasing Ice was one man’s idea to use his own language of photography to show what’s happening to our glaciers. I’m sure it would not have had the same overall impact if he used figures to demonstrate the findings. Maybe people react better to art as it speaks easily to our emotions as opposed to needing to understand the language of science before it reaches you. Can you image how Monet’s work would look translated into say a weather forecast followed by a scientific explanation of the light and colour (actually that would be a really interesting thing to do – scientist take note!) – but if it was only explored this way the emotional responses to Monet’s masterpieces would be lost in translation and numbers. Or if we only explored life through art we would not understand the workings of our world. Art does seem to be a more universal language and using art to interpret science gives art some power, meaning and presence. I’m not suggesting art does not already have this, as it does in abundance, but I guess I’m saying it might give more weight to art in the mind of the scientist.

My time with both my scientist and artist friends (an amazing group of mates) has made me think that art and science do not seem to have differencing objectives, both want to understand the world, challenge current thoughts & ideas and share new ideas, thoughts and findings. But what can be different is how they are interrupted by the viewer/listener and the affect they then have. There has been many a nights when I’ve watched my friends debate from both camps and the difference I see is not necessary the ideas, but how each express them. It used to bother me how I struggled to enter a debate with a group of my close scientist friends, mainly as I couldn’t translate my thoughts in the language they used. Silly me, I never had to do this. Both are equal and even more so with a few beers thrown in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment